Stainless Steel For Food Processing
Stainless steel was invented to overcome the challenges of corrosion, the world was facing especially in the food and dairy industry. The alloy of steel containing iron-chromium-nickel in various combinations is what comprises stainless steel. Stainless steel typically contains between 9 and 30 percent chromium and varying amounts of nickel, molybdenum, copper, sulfur, titanium, niobium, etc., may be added to obtain the desired mechanical properties and shelf life.
Stainless steel for pipes, coils, and sheets in the food industry
The most important use of stainless steel in the food industry is its corrosion resistance. That’s why stainless steel is a common choice for applications such as pipes, coils, and sheets. All these types of stainless steel can be customized in a variety of shapes and sizes. Here are some of the types of stainless steel used.
Stainless steel grade 304 is among the most common alloys used for pipes, coils, and sheets. This is because of it’s all around corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, and general wear and tear. It is easy to maintain and requires minimum efforts. However, while handling temperatures above 400 degrees Celsius, 304 grade is not suitable, as it becomes susceptible to carbide precipitation. In such cases, stainless steel 304L will be more appropriate.
One specific piping application is known as stainless steel pressure pipe. This grade of stainless steel is made up of solid chromium, or alternatively, a chromium-nickel mixture. The appropriate alloys for this type of pipe generally come from the ferritic and austenitic families. Applications include seamless pipe, welded pipe, electric fusion welded pipe, and large diameter welded pipe. This type of pipe can be useful for corrosive or high-temperature applications, as well as high-pressure environments.
Suncity Sheets Pvt Ltd. offers a wide variety of stainless steel sheets using the alloys: 304, 304L, 316, and 316L. These sheets can be made into stainless steel pipes, coils, and sheets for food and dairy industry applications.
Benefits of using stainless steel in the food industry include:
- Heat resistance
- Can withstand shock and abrasion
- Retains shine and is durable
- Prevents contamination and maintains freshness in food items
- Easy to clean, thus preventing bacterial infections
- Can withstand dents and scratches even in aggressive operating conditions
- Suitable for handling food items containing spicy ingredients and strong coloring agents.
- Possess excellent cryogenic properties
- Can withstand heavy wash downs using chemicals or other detergents
- Is inert to alkalis and acids
- Does not crack or break easily
- Can withstand fire
- It is more formable compared to other metals.
We at Suncity Sheets Pvt. Ltd. design and manufactures a complete range of stainless steel products like stainless steel pipes, coils, sheets and circles for various food processing industries. Don’t forget to visit our website for your stainless steel requirements. www.suncitysheets.com
- Role Of Stainless Steel In Sugar Industry
- Stainless Steel Pipes – A Brief Guide
- Stainless Steel Pipes – Best Choice For Balusters & Railings
- Premium Quality Stainless Steel For Pharmaceutical Applications